The magnificent Sultan Mosque, also known as Masjid Sultan, is the center of the Muslim community of Singapore and is located in the old Kampong Gelam neighborhood.
The mosque was built in 1824 at the order of Monarch Hussein Shah, Singapore’s first sultan. The old mosque was in critical need of repairs a century later. The mosque as it is today was restored in 1932 and was designed by Denis Santry of Singapore’s oldest architectural company, Swan and Maclaren.
To encourage participation from all Muslims, not just the wealthy, each dome base is embellished with glass bottle ends that were contributed by low-income Muslims during the building.
The mosque has long served as the center of the Muslim community and was recognized as a national monument in 1975. The mosque’s prayer hall can accommodate up to 5000 people for a mass prayer.